Tuesday, February 1, 2011
CHICKEN POT PIE
Warm buttery soft flaky crust, smoky tender chicken, sweet carrots, potatoes, and rich creamy gravy makes for one comforting ‘Chicken Pot Pie’. It has been way to long since we have made a pot pie. Simple but quality ingredients are the key to success. This chicken has been smoked with hickory wood. The carrots are fresh and sweet from the farmers market. The crust is pre-made by a local pastry vendor called ‘Star Dough’. ‘Star Dough’ was highly recommended by a local food fanatic; Zoomie.
Chicken Pot Pie
• 1 cup cubed potato
• 1 cup peas
• 1 cup diced onion
• 1 cup diced carrot
• 2 cloves diced garlic
• 1/3 cup melted butter
• 1/2 cup flour
• 2 cups chicken broth
• 1 cup milk or half and half
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
• 1 pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Sauté onion, carrots and potatoes in butter for 10 minutes.
3. Add flour to sautéed mixture, stirring well Cook one minute stirring constantly.
4. Combine broth and half and half.
5. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture.
6. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened and bubbly.
7. Stir in salt and pepper; add chicken, peas and stir well.
8. Pour into shallow 2 quart casserole dish and top with pie shell.
9. Cut slits to allow steam to escape.
10. Brush crust with wash of beaten egg.
11. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.
Let the pie rest for 10 minutes before serving. This is a complete meal. The smoky chicken made this pie over the top delicious. Star dough is a very decent product. It is rich and flaky. I would recommend it if you are crust challenged. It has a steep price tag for something that is fairly easy to make yourself. The gravy which bound the ingredients was so rich and good that I was caught licking the plate. ‘Chicken Pot Pie’ is a dish that had been on the back shelf of our recipe repertoire. It received a warm welcome return. ‘Yummy Noodles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!’