- 1 cup of flour
- 1 cup of white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- 1 cup medium grind whole grain cornmeal or regular cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans plus 10 pecan halves for garnish
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (4 ounces)
Whisk both flours, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder in large bowl. Whisk buttermilk, melted butter, maple syrup, eggs and extract in medium bowl. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stir until blended. Stir in 3/4 cup chopped pecans and cranberries. Spoon butter into pan. Arrange pecan halves in row down center of batter.
Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until Golden brown and knife inserted comes out clean. I really like the Maple flavor. I am going to try adding bacon and corn next time. I will have it down by competition time.
Mojo and Oscar want to remind you that this weekend is the Asparagus Festival. It will be held in Stocton California. We will be there at noon to see if Joey Chestnut can become the Champion Asparagus eater. See you there!